Towing Do's & Don'ts
- Do follow a set routine when hitching up a trailer. You will be less likely to forget any aspect of the connection procedure.
- Do fit wing mirror extensions to help you see clearly what's happening behind you when towing a caravan.
- Do remember that your vehicle and caravan together are longer, higher and wider than the car alone. Watch out for width and height restrictions, allow extra space when cornering and overtaking, and take account of the additional weight when braking.
- Do keep the engine revs up and release the clutch slowly when you make hill starts.
- Do practice reversing. It's a tricky manoeuvre until you get used to using the opposite lock to normal.
- Don't exceed the car or caravan manufacturer's recommended nose weight - the pressure which the trailer exerts on the towball itself. Ideally this should be about 7% of the caravan's Actual Laden Weight. If the nose weight is too low or too high the steering may become too light or too heavy, affecting stability.
- Don't attempt to tow a caravan or trailer that is too heavy for your vehicle - you will experience difficulties caused by the lack of power and may have problems in braking. The Caravan Club recommend that the Actual Laden Weight of the trailer is never more than 85% of the tow vehicle's Kerb Weight.
- Don't panic and brake sharply or make rapid steering movements if the trailer starts snaking from side to side. This can happen when accelerating downhill, if you are caught in a cross wind, or are passed by a large lorry. Just gently lift off the accelerator and maintain a straight course, letting the vehicle slow down naturally.
This page can only give a quick outline of towing practicalities. For further information please contact us or visit the National Trailer and Towing Association website at http://www.ntta.co.uk.
- Dave has just fitted a tow bar to my 4th Hyundai Santa Fe - he has also fitted bars to previous cars over a number of years. He does a brilliant job every time. A great job - I highly recommend him and his excellent service. Well done again.I would not use anyone else.
- Trevor Williams
- second time i have used dave to fit my tow bar and as always he,s faultless in his work his timing and his polite friendly attude in general a nice man to do business with and the iceing on the cake his price is fare will use or recommend this man to anyone 10/10 all the best to dave and trish
- Alan Swan
- A well recommened Tow Bar Installation Service, All are needs catered for on site, A good reliable and friendly service, well recommened by our selves and all are customers and ourselves have been satisfied for over 16 years. Keep on going Dave & Trish.
- Lookers Ellesmere Port
- Second time we have used your company and once again you provided an excellent service at a good price. Highly recommended. See you in three years for a tow bar on the next car. Thanks.
- Sue & Iain Kavanagh